Don’t you just love crowns? Especially rusty crowns.
I saw a rusty crown on Pinterest when I first joined it and really really wanted one of my own. But where to find one?
Solution: make my own!
Firstly, I got a tin can. This one used to have some kind of fruit in it so it was bigger than your usual baked beans can.
I got a piece of paper and cut it to fit around the can. Then I folded it so I could divide it into uniform peaks for my crown.
I cut out the pattern and traced it onto the can using a marker.
I used tin snips to cut the can and then used a file to make the edges a little less dangerous.
Its still pretty sharp, however, so if I was to make another one I’d go a step further and fold over the edges to round them off.
So, my crown was made, but of course it was WAAAAY too shiny.
I put it in a solution of salt and vinegar, but really, I’ve never had as much luck with that as they claim on Pinterest. I found that you can leave most things in salt and vinegar for-EVER and nothing happens. HOWEVER, once you take them out and expose them to the air a while things start to happen. ie Rust happens.
With the crown, I sat it in a bowl of solution and kept turing it to get a kind of rusty effect.
Given my crown is a bit on the deadly side, I’ll be using it as a decorative item in places where no one can impale themselves on it. ie, I won’t be leaving it on the couch…
I really enjoyed working with the tin. I’m thinking of a few other projects I could use tin cans for…
For now I think I’ll just concentrate on the other 5097 projects I have waiting.
PS. Some updated photos of the crown. Turns out it wasn’t finished after all. It took Wayne 5 seconds to ‘fix’ it. All he did was bend the points and it was better!