No hair. No feathers. No head. No beak. No feet.
Just. A. Stomach.
A ruminant’s stomach.
Seems the poodles thought it was time to up the challenge for me. Every time I find one of their kills, there’s less of it to identify it by. I was able to identify the last specimen by the feathers and some guts.
This time all I got was a stomach. With munched up grass in it. I’d guess rabbit or wallaby… and given they haven’t yet caught a rabbit (that I know of), I’d say wallaby.
At this rate I’ll soon be an expert at identifying species from the inside out.
Ok. At this point let me just say that I don’t like my poodles killing anything, even rats or mice. Though whatever is living in our ceiling is asking for it…
I especially hate it when they kill wildlife or our ducks, chickens or geese. But they have a strong prey drive and they will kill any intruder in their yard. Its a fact of life and I’ve had to accept that my gorgeous fluffy dogs are real dogs… predators even.
But on a cheerier note, at least a more creative one, I finally created a place for Wayne’s huge collection of headlamps.
He has a million of them. Battery operated, rechargeable, you name it, he has it. He bought one so he could go out to feed the horses in the dark. Then he bought a second as a spare. Then he got a rechargeable one. Then he found a brighter one. It goes on and on.
I don’t care how many he has. They come in handy when I’m searching the yard for clues such as hair, feathers, a head… What I have a problem with is him recharging them all over the kitchen counters.
I had to create a spot for them which met these requirements:
- store all the headlamps in once spot and not all over the house
- a spot handy to grab one on the way out
- a spot handy to put it back on the way back in
- the ability to store and recharge in one place
I had no idea how to do this. I didn’t know what I wanted it to look like or where to put it.
In the end I went for quick and easy. I grabbed a bit of chippy old skirting board I had in the shed, drilled holes in it and jammed in some really big nails. I added a cool chippy green-blue door thingy. Just for fun I painted the heads of the nails pale green-blue to match.
I added this cute half planter basket to hold the chargers.
In order to do all this I had to move a few things over to the other side, so the kitchen window ledge is looking a lot busier.