I’ve had this little cabinet for a few years now and its been through a few incarnations. When I got it it had an awful, damaged, laminate top which I replaced with beadboard to start with. Then I painted it white with a crackle effect and used it as my bedside table for a while.
When we moved to the farm it ended up in the shed gathering dust.
Firstly, I disliked the crackle effect – it just wasn’t quite right. Then I disliked the legs I’d put on it – they were the wrong style but they were all I had at the time.
A little while ago I decided it was time for a makeover. I love the retro glass door and even the original liner, but I decided it needed new legs, a new handle and a new colour to make it pop.
First I looked for legs among my collection of
junk handy things and found these lightly tapered 60’s style legs. I painted them black to go with the silver and black handle I chose.
I mixed paint using what I had on hand, making my own chalk paint by adding fine unsanded grout. I find this works great and gives a lovely finish. It also allows for a chippy look with use, giving it a natural worn look rather than a purposefully distressed one.
The paper inside is a bit ripped, but its clean and has been glued down – plus it has touches of the aqua which ties it in nicely.
I love the contrast between the aqua and the black. No one can accuse this of being a boring little cabinet any more!
Oh, and please excuse the filthy floor. It was raining and the only place I could take these photos at the time was the grooming room between customers.