Ok, before I go on, I have no photos of today. Cause, really, there’s not much to show. The shower cubicle was removed. The water pipes were moved. The cement sheeting is down on the floor.
I was sure we’d be further along today. I was all set to paint on the waterproofing this evening. But no, cause nothing ever goes as planned!
For one thing, I went in to pick up our shower and accessories, the tiles, the tile glue, the grout, and whatever else was on my list.
Like any shopping trip, it took longer than planned. But that’s ok. The plumber was late too. So part of not getting along further was due to the fact that we didn’t start on time.
Meanwhile, we had second thoughts on the shower. See, the sink I ordered from Ikea is 49cm wide. The cabinet it’ll sit on is 40cm wide. That’s ok. I’ll extend the back and we’ll put the waste pipe behind the cabinet instead of inside. Problem solved.
However, the swing door of the shower we initially chose would hit the cabinet. Even if I was to change the sink (too late for that, its arrived in Hobart!) so I had to change the shower to one with a barn style sliding door.
Below left is the shower we originally ordered, the one on the right is the one we’re getting now.
We’re getting a combination shower with handheld cause we disagree on the best way to get wet. This one is a good compromise. In order to match the squareness of the shower fittings I bought the square mixer tap below right for the vanity.
Now, when it comes to tiling, I’ve decided to tile up to the window and over the window sill. No wood trim. The picture below is the inspiration. Plus I remember old school buildings with tiled windows… I think it’ll look really nice in our bathroom.
Of course our window is a pale yellow aluminium called ‘primrose’. hmph. I’m sure some paint will change that easily enough.
There’s also a bit of an issue with the size of the tiles I chose (150 x 150cm) and the gap between the shower and window. That’s a 200cm gap. Which meant that either the poor tiler would have to cut every single tile to create the brick layout I want OR I had to find another way to deal with this troublesome spot.
My solution: some black subway tiles which will go up the wall in a strip.
Hopefully it’ll work.
Meanwhile I have a ton of work to do… the cabinet needs a total re-haul. The rest of our supplies need picking up. Cement sheeting needs to go on the wall… no rest for the wicked.
Our planned timeline is already blowing out and we have no idea how smelly we’re going to get before we have a working shower again…