I did tell you I was on a roll didn’t I? Weeks of very little from me, then suddenly I just can’t seem to shut up about the things I’ve made and done!
Do you remember when I found a ton of old cotton flour and bank deposit bags at an op shop ages ago?
Most of them are from the 80s, but that one with the woman holding a cake on it is in pounds so I figure it has to be from the 60s before Australia went metric.
At first I thought I wanted to make cushion covers out of them, but some are pretty old and the shape doesn’t really lend itself to a cushion unless you trim the image (no way) or lie the cushion sideways (not ideal).
I also thought they’d make great (interesting) curtains for my ugly kitchen.
A talking point type of thing, if you will.
So first thing I did was sort out how many bags I’d need for each window. I have two windows in the kitchen. One is tall and narrow, the other is tall and a bit wider. The first looks out to the front yard but is positioned in such a way that you cant really see out of it much, sandwiched as it is between the cupboards holding the microwave and the stove/rangehood.
The bigger one looks out into the mud room now that we’ve enclosed that tiny porch.
I won’t go into what I’d LIKE to do with the kitchen layout and window placement…. I won’t…
The tall narrow window gets the full HOT afternoon sun and had a venentian blind on it… very necessary if you didn’t want the kitchen to become a furnace on days like today. However the venetian blind was broken and I wanted it gone.
It was peach.
Need I say more?
I decided it needed a full curtain – 4 bags, 2 across and 2 down. I ironed them and sewed them together on my trusty ancient Singer sewing machine (bought for me by my father at a Trash and Treasure market about 20 years ago – well done dad!)
Using some small curtain clips I’d bought from ebay (cause the only place I found them locally was insanely expensive) I suspended them from the window sill using some old curtain hooks and a stick of bamboo I ripped out of a screen….
Ok. I didn’t have a curtain rod which would fit so I improvised!
On the other side of the room I had put up a hanging rail to hold the frying pans and some totally useless/display only bits and pieces. I only needed a short curtain to cut out some of the glare but still allow us to look out the window to the front gate if we bent over the sink, leaned to the left and carefully pressed our faces to the window all while avoiding braining ourselves on the sharp cupboard corner.
Don’t you love the layout of our kitchen? I know Wayne does. You’ll recognise him. He’s the one with the band aids all over his head.
Hm. Not quite right… It was lacking something (and I don’t mean how crooked it is… I fixed that.)
The main problem, as you can see on the narrow window, is that the curtain looked see-through with the strong sun behind it.
I couldn’t leave it like that. Not in this heat. So I grabbed this girl’s best friend – burlap!
I cut a piece of burlap slightly larger than the flour sack curtain I’d made, clipped it all together and voila! Much better!
I did the same with the other window too, only this time I cut the burlap longer so it would go behind the rail and cover a bit more of the unsightly mess in the mud room.
Not bad for an almost no sew project. Basic and easy.
Just the way I like it!
What we accomplished Wednesday at Green Willow Pond